Minutes January 2018

                                                                                  Macsherry Library Minutes January 2018



     Present: Steve Burns, Sue-Ryn Burns, Tom Mitchell, Tom Estes, Georgia Weathers, Ann Ward, Cecilia Thompon, Amanda Rydberg on the phone, Harriet Burris, Ceil Cunningham.       

      Guest: Cliff Hulbert, sound person for the Bluegrass musicians who meet here monthly, advised us on the purchase of equipment for the library. We will purchase used equipment with an estimated cost of $800  for a mixer, 4 speakers/ monitors, 3 mikes amd stands, and associated cabling.



          the December minutes are reviewed. Ann moves to accept minutes as presented, Steve seconds, passed


          the financial report is reviewed, some clarifications are added.

          Money in the bank accounts is reviewed

          Tom E. moves to accept the financial report; seconded by Ann , passed

          Bills to be paid: The bills are reviewed and Steve moves to pay the bills; Sue-Ryn seconds; motion passed

     Library doors

          The Gallery doors are being refubished

     Minimum wage: As of 12/31/2017 the minimum wage is $10.40 per hour. We discuss the wages and agree to increase the present wages of staff.

           Tom E. makes the motion to increase the present wages; Ann seconds; the measure passed

     Monetary issue: The Friends of Macsherry Library funds are down. We discuss the issue further.

            Ann feels the budget shortfall will be covered in 2018. Committee meeting will follow up expanding the number of people who are Friends of Macsherry Library. We will begin in February.

     Budget: The 2017 budget figures are reviewed. Some expenditures are listed in the wrong category and are corrected.

            There is an anticipated cost increase for periodicals due to the relocation of a generous donor. Ceil goes over line items that are questioned.

     Bluegrass Evening: In December it was decided to include New Year's Day on the Bluegrass calendar for 2018. There was a nice turnout of musicians in January; not many in the audience, but it was

             a very cold day. Many of the performers who were there in December were there again in January.

     Heart of Winter:

            Sue-Ryn reviews where our planning stands at this point. The event date is February 10th.

            A suggestion is made to have the art display up for three weeks.

            January 29th is the entry deadline, February 5th drop off day for artwork.

            Ann will send Thank You notes. Harriet will get in touch with the restaurants.

            There is a question about changing the application to address hotel's versus homemade products or placing them together on one side or the other of the table during the event.

     Nominations: Tom Mitchell nominates: Steve Burns for VP, Sue-Ryn trustee, Ann Ward trustee, Tom Estes Treasurer, Harriet Burris trustee, Georgia Weathers trustee, Amanda Rydberg trustee,

            and Cecilia Thompson Secretary.

            Ann Ward nominates Tom Mitchell as president.

            Ann moved the nomination slate should go forward; Amanda seconds; all are in favor.

     Greg Couch: A discussion follows on when he will be coming to discuss investments with us.

     Grant opportunities: There is a small grant program for public libraries. Application would be for projects that are special activities outside of standard curriculum for children. We will revisit

            the issue at a later date.

      We adjourn at 8:35

      Ann moves to adjourn, Amanda seconds, all agree

      Respectfully submitted by Cecilia Thompson.


       Approved 02/14/2018