Board of Trustees Minutes 2019

Minutes

Macsherry Libary Board of Trustees

March 20, 2019

Present:

Steve Burns, Rich Leclerc, Dean Honeywell, Ann Ward, Ceceilia Thompson, Ceil Cunningham,Georgia Weathers.

Absent:

Tom Estes, Tom Mitchell, Amanda Rydberg.

Meeting called to order at 7:05.

Minutes:

Ann moves that the minutes of the last meeting be approved, Georgia seconds, all approve.

School Ballot:

Dean has volunteered to attend the meeting. Meeting is Tuesday the 26th.

Financial Report:

The report is reviewed.

Ann moves to accept the financial report, Dean seconed, all are in favor.

Bills to be paid:

Bills were approved to be paid via email agreement.

Greg Couch:

He suggested he would come to aeeting in May or June when all the Board will be present.

Macsherry Card:

Steve will send the list from last year.

Friends:

The staff created a "please join" card and they will be ready early next week. They will be sent out to those who might be interested in joining FML. Also, Barb will be working on a rack card that will be at the desk in the library. Molly has some friends that might be interested in joining.

Blue Grass:

All went well a very enjoyable evening. Approximately 20 people were in attendance.

Library Program Report:

Not as busy this month, Donna Hammond has been ill and classes had to be cancelled. Movies are now on Thursday's with a potluck, last one attended by about 20. The next movie is "Green Book".

Policy Change:

We voted on the approval via email.

Old Business:

Heart of winter went well, good representation of chocolate. It was a stormy day. A recommendation to draw more people would be dont do it on the smae day as chili cook off in Watertown.

New Business:

Harriet Burr has sent an email notifying the Board that she is resigning due to other volunteer commitments. She is happy to volunteer and help us out. All wish to thank Harriet for her time and dedication to the Board. Rich moves to accept the resignation with regret and Georgia seconds, all are in favor.

Staff Concerns:

Cindy offered a thank you to the Board for all their good wishes.

Board Concerns:

None.

Meeting adjourned:

7:46

Respectfully submitted by Cecilia Thompson.

 

Minutes

Macsherry Libary Board of Trustees

Minutes April 10,2019

Present:

Steve Burns, Amanda Rydeberg, Tom Estes, Georgia Weathers, Ann Ward, Dean Honeywell, Cecilia Thompson and Ceil Cunningham.

Absent:

Tom Mitchell.

Minutes:

The Library staff made changes to the minutes, the spelling of Barb Hearn's name. Ann moves to accept the minutes as amended, Georgia seconds, all are in favor.

Finances:

The financial report is reviewed. Repairs are up to to air conditioning work. No questions from the Board Village and Town monies should be in there by the end of the month. Tom E gives and update on the NNY Community Fund. Amanda moves to approve the finances, Ann Ward seconds, all are in favor.

Bills to be paid:

The bills are reviewed. Printing for cards for FML was done on minimal cost by TI Printing. Amanda moves to pay the bills and Georgia seconds, all are in favor.

Greg Couch:

We are waiting for all other Board members to be back and he will then come in, possibly in May or June. Suggestion is to wait for Molly and Darden to be in town.

Macsherry Card:

Steve reviews the list. April 30th is the deadline.

School Ballot:

All went well, Dean attended the meeting.

Friends report:

Barb Hearn's is working on the rack card that will be displayed on the front circ desk. Ceil offers if she needs anything the staff can help.

Blue Grass Report:

Had an interesting session, many singers, same number of people turned out. A lady in the audience stood up to sing and did well.

Library Program Reports:

29 in attendance for "movie and pot luck" night which was a record. The movie "Green Book" was a big draw. Our painting classes attendance are maxed out, sewing classes are also full. We are doing well attracting people to the classes.

New Business:

Chamber of Commerce, we have an ad in the Chamber of Commerce book, a discussion follows of the value of having the ad. Dues for the Chamber are coming up , a discussion on the value of the ad verses the dues. The email that is sent with the membership might be enough in promoting the library and the programs. Claire Dunlap is the executive director and will put any info we give her in the email that goes out to everyone. Give it to her two weeks before the event. This is at no cost, included with the membership. Dean moves to not renew the ad but to only pay the membership next year, Amanda seconds, all are in favor.

Old Business:

Silent Auction, July 19th is the date, we should start thinking about dontations now. Golf Tournament, Golf Tournament should be in the Vacationer and in the Watertown Times. Tom E will see if Dick Stockton will attend and if not promote the event. Andrea P is helping with advertising.

John Cook:

Appreciation from Stevefor the kind words from the Board and the card to his wife Judy.

Ann moves to adjourn and Amanda seconds all are in favor, 7:52

Respectfully Submited by Cecilia Thompson.

 

Minutes

Macsherry Libary Board of Trustees

May 8, 2019

Present: Steve Burns, Geoorgia Weathers, Dean Honeywell, Tom Mitchell, Carol Recktenwald, Amanda Rydberg, Tom Estes, Ceil Cunningham.

Absent:

Ann Ward, Rich Leclerc.

Meeting Called to order: 7:05pm

Golf Tournament:

Amanda has checked with Tom Penn and is all set. The hot dogs Amanda will look after them. Paper products, donuts and hot dog buns are all set, donated by the Big M. The TI Club has give a donation of 4 passes with carts, a value of 200$. Amanda suggest we use this donation for the silent auction instead. The Distillery will also give a donation and that will go to the Silent Auction as well. There is a new hole sponsor this year.

Minutes:

Minutes are reviewed. Georgia moves to approve the minutes, Dean seconds, all are in favor.

Financials:

Funding from the Village and Town monies are now in. Fire Department donation is discussed. The financials have gone to Grey & Grey in Canton they are familiar with nonprofit version of Quick books. Expenses are reviewed. Tom E moves that we send 100$ donation to the Fire Department, Georgia seconds, all are in favor. Steve moves to accept the financial report, Dean seconds, all are in favor.

Bills to be paid:

Bills to be paid are reviewed and its noted that the National Grid bill has gone down. Dean moves we pay the bills, Steve seconds, all are in favor.

FML:

Ann sent an email update which is read by Steve. Barb Hearn is finalizing the rack card.

Blue Grass Report:

Monday night Blue Grass is still doing well.

Macsherry Card:

Steve gives us an update. The last items for the card came in on Monday afternoon. Suggestion is to call this fall and ask those that are hard to reach, if they could ok submission this year for next year.

Hearts for Youth Program:

Kids sewing program is doing well. After school program and story time also doing well. 3 groups of kids playing chess were here this week. All very successful and well attended.

Silent Auction:

The date is July 19th, we should not wait until the last minute to get the items in and hang the pieces. If we can get things in early, it would be appreciated. It is suggested we try and get a large item that could be placed outside as a draw for the event. Tom M will contact Glenn Sweet about a decoy donation.

Capital Campaign:

For the addition to the Library we will wait for Molly and Darden to be back in town. We are running out of space and need more storage. The new Building will be leased to HFY and that will cover the cost. We should consider expanding the gallery in the palnning.

Staff Concerns:

Controls should be on any addition to the library since it wont be constantly staffed.

Board Concerns:

None.

New Business:

None.

Old Business:

None.

School Ballot:

The vote is the 21st of May.

We adjourn at 7:45, Georgia moves to adjourn and Dean seconds, al are in favor

 

 

 

Minutes

Macsherry Libary Board of Trustees

June 12, 2019

 

Present: Steve Burns, Ceil Cunningham, Tom Estes, Dean Honeywell, Rich LeClerc, Darden MacWade, Tom Miychell, Amanda Rydberg, Ann Ward, Georrgia Weathers.

 

Excused: Carol Recktenwald

 

Minutes of May, 2019 were approved with the addition of the Bluegrass Report which had been omitted. Ann Ward

 

Financial report: After discussion, Steve Burns, seconded by Amanda Ryderberg, to approve the Financial Report. Ceil Cunningham pointed out the Macsherry Card returns were somewhat behind 2018. Rich LeClerc questioned the very large increase of the water bill from 2018. Ceil will check into this.

 

Payment of Bills: Amanda Ryderberg moved, seconded by Dean Honeywell to pay the bills as presented. Ceil pointed out the current insurance statement was considerably larger than years past. She stated she would look into it.

 

Scholl Ballot referendum: Ceil thanked those trustees who had voted for the referendum.

 

Friends of the Library: Ann Ward reported that Barbara Hearn would be leaving and asked President Tom to send a thank you letter. She pointed out she would need more volunteers in the future.There is a letter going out to Friends of Library , and both the President and Molly MacWade would need to sign it. Molly also has a seperate letter of her going to about 30 non-Friends. Ann also reported that the rack cards were ready for the printer. There will be 250 of them, will be on card stock, displayed on the library counter. Amanda Ryderburg moved, seconded by Tom Estes, to accept this report as presented. M/S/C.

 

Bluegrass report: Georgia Weathers reported a record attendance with 52, inclusing 200 musicians. Also, Max Patterson came for the first time with his ukelele.

 

Library program report: Ceil stated that there is a one-month hiatus because of the silent auction.

 

Old Business:  

 

Hearts for Youth: Dean Honeywell moved, seconded by Ann Ward, to give 75$ for snacks and treats to Hearts for Youth for two upcoming events being handled by Denise Haddock. M/S/C. President Tom reported that Debbie Grimes had helped the children make American Girl doll clothes, and that the chess club which had met at the Bay House of Artisans was now meeting in the library. He added that about 90% of what HFY does happens in Macsherry library.

 

Book Sale: This would begin this Saturday, June 15. Ceil stated that she would  need volunteers working on this project; staff could work extra hours on it.

 

Silent Auction: Dean Honeywell turned in three donations. Tom Mitchell's dad's house sold, and he has four boxes of items to go through for possible donations. Georgia Weathers plans to donate a bronze bust of Kwan yin. Keeley held a sale for HFY during the village wide sale and took in around 1000$. Darden stated that Molly had already contacted Nick Speach about food for that event. Steve Burns discussed the publicity actions that needed to br taken, PSA, article in TI Sun, etc. President Tom scheduled a meeting for June 26 at the library to coordinate donations and any other arrangements that would need to be made.

 

Golf Tournament: Amanda Rydberg had to leave early, but she reported that the tournament was "awesome" and that she hoped to set one up in June of 2020.

 

New Business: Tom Mitchell announced that the River Hospital was willing to donate 5 pods. Tom stated that they had heat, AC, plumbing, etc, and that he would be going on a walk-through soon. All they would need would be concrete pads.

 

Staff Concerns: Ceil reported that New York State law now required standing 100 feet from the door of the library. She now needs to ghet rid of standing ash trays.

 

Board Concerns:  None

Ann Ward moved, seconded by Dean Honeywell to adjourn the meeting. Meeting was adjourned at 8;10 PM  M/S/C

Respectfully submitted,

Georgia Weathers

Secretary pro tem

 

Minutes

Macsherry Libary Board of Trustees

July 20, 2019

Meeting called to order at 7:02

 

Minutes:

     Minutes are handed out and reviewed.

      Changes: For the Book Sale, Ceil can use staff as well as volunteers. Under staff concerns, state law requires "100" feet not "90". Keeley held a sale for HFY and took  
             in about $1000. Change library to HFY. 

Ann moves to accept the minutes as amended, Georgia seconds, all are in favor.

 

Financials:

      A question was raised at a previous meeting about the water bill being too high. An electric bill was listed in Quickbooks as a water bill.

      Regarding the money taken in this year, the Book Sale receipts are almost identical; Macsherry Card revenue is up slightly.

      Office costs were higher due to toner purchases and Quickbooks payroll subscription not paid yet in the previous year.

      Golf tournament receipts were higher with fewer people attending.

.       We are part of Amazon Smile and when placing an order you can choose Macsherry Library for your donation.

       We review actual expenses.

Ann moves, Steve seconds, all are in favor of accepting the financial report.

Tom moves to accept the bills to be paid, Steve seconds, all are in favor.

 

Friends:

      Barb Hearn is no longer able to volunteer; Linda Toomey has agreed to take on the role. We will go over everything with Linda when she returns from her ime away.

      The staff took over and sent out the original letter asking for donations from Friends. We need more revenue and more Friends; it's an uphill battle.

      The Friends letter went out on June 21st. Responses are not in yet, but we hope several of the Friends attend next week's Silent Auction.

Bluegrass:

     Excellent audience turnout. It was held in the Readin Room with new people attending. Nice assortment of musicians.

Library programs:

      All are waiting for the wood burning class by Steve Jarvis. This is an adult class.

Book Sale:

      Money raised is discussed. We have sold a fair number of books, but we have a long way to go.

      We have 3 boxes of valuable old books, they have a high dollar value as colletibles. We will keep higher value books and sell those valued under $50.

Silent Auction:

      July 19th is the date.

 

Minutes

Macsherry Libary Board of Trustees

September 11th, 2019

Present: Steve Burns, Tom Mitchell, Tom Estes, Georgia Weathers, Ann Ward, Cecilia Thompson, Ceil Cunningham, Rich Leclerc.

Absent: Darden MacWade.

Minutes: The minutes are reviewed, a few changes are noted. Ann moves to accept the minutes with corrections, Tom E seconds, all are in favor.

Financial Report: Silent Auction numbers are reviewed and corrected. The direct Mail, we have monies not deposited yet, we should match the numbers from last year. All in the report looks standard. Vapco came and put in a new controller, it had to be converted to synch up with Trane (part of the Vapco bill). Steve moves to accept the financial report, Ann seceonds, all are in favor.

Bills to be paid: Bills to be paid are reviewed, there is nothing unusual to report. We review the funds in the bank account, Steve moves to pay the bills, Tom E seconds, all are in favor.

The Northern New York Community Foundation and UBS: Balances are reviewed the numvbers are up and looking positive as of July 31st. UBS is also reviewed, things are also positive and the money for the retirement account has been withdrawn. We review the UBS documents that have been received. We could have a conversation with UBS to talk about our investment strategies, see if we are balanced in our portfolio. We should have Greg Couch come back in the fall.

Friends: Ann spoke to Linda Toomey for an update. Our numbers are behind at this point compared to last year. We have not heard from everybody who is a current member, some people wait until the end of the year to donate. Linda will design the card that will  be sent out to those who have not contributed this year. Linda will be leaving for a few weeks. The committee will meets on Linda's return. Rich will invetigate contacting a possible "Friend".

Blue Gras Report: Ron Sinclair was there performimg this month, everybody really enjoyed it. A few misicians go to Florida in the winter but that shouldn't affect the winter month's. October 7th is the next Blue Grass.

Library Programming: We will be offering watercolor classes by Linda Palmer. Dinner and a Movie, the movies are lined up and we should be able to do one a month. 11 people attended last time. Quite possible later this fall we will start a new group for returning or starting guitar players, just an informal group.

Board concerns: Dean Honeywell and Amanda Rydberg/Carol have left the board. Chris Vaphiadis is a suggestion for a new Board Member, Tom will get in touch but the Board is to think of someone else as well. Tom will also ask Denise Haddock if she could recommend someone or would she be interested in joining the Board. Dreamer will allow us to raffle off the baby afghan, we will sell tickets at the craft show and raffle off at the heart of winter in February. The Christmas Holiday Craft Fair, no news right now.

Staff Concerns: Childrens floor possibly replace it since it is in bad shape. We should look at the issue in March. To sand the concrete with a room full of books will require somene who knows what he is doing, is the suggestion. Someone good with masonry is who we will lokk towards. Mike Putnam is the suggestion to get in touch with. Our trees outside are going to be clipped by Mr. Davis, so they dont hang over the cars etc.

Tom moves to go into excutive session, Ann seconds, all are in favor at 7:30 pm Steve moves, Ann seconds, we come out of excutive session at 7:49 pm, all agee.

Rich moves we adjourn, Georgia seconds, we adjourn at 7:50. Respectfull submitted by Cecilia Thompson.

 

Minutes

Macsherry Libary Board of Trustees

November 13th, 2019.

Present: Steve Burns, Rich Leclerc, Tom Estes, Georgia Weathers, Denise Haddock, Cecilia Thompson, Ann Ward, Chris Vasiliadis, Ceil Cunningham.

Absent: Tom Mitchell.

Minutes: Meeting called to order at 7:05. Minutes are reviewed, Ann moves we approve the minutes, Tom E seconds, all are in favor.

Financial Report: NNY Community Foundation, Tom E gives us an update on the total amounty of the investment. The financial report is reviewed. Direct mail report, we are a little behind from last year. There are some funds received from FML that have not been deposited. School ballot money is in. Small amount in Capital savings from a grant that has to be spent, there is no deadline. Ann moves to approve the financial report, Tom E seconds, all are in favor.

Bills to be paid: A question is asked if there is anything unusual in the list of bills to be paid and Ceil says no. The Verizon bill we wonder why it is so expensive, the answer is that we have two internet lines. Possibly Spectrum should be contacted to see if they could provide a less expensive service. Castle Cable should also be contacted regarding how much the cost would be for their service since they could provide 50mg. It would be worth asking Castle Cable, Chris will call. Tom E moves to pay bills, Denise seconds, all are in favor.

Friends: Linda Toomey sent out a note to those who have not been members for a long time. We are hoping that more monies will arrive at the end of the year at tax contribution time. Ann ask again to see if we know of anyone that would like to join the FML, she will get in touch with them. There are four folks tha have renewed. FML pamphlets will be given to Denise to give out to those taht attend the paint and sip classes. Ceil will check to see if the pamphlets are available and if not then some will be printed up. An informaton table for FML will be set up at the Holiday Craft Fair.

Blue Grass Report: There were 28 last month, we didnt have any lead musicians, Buddy Clarke will be there in December and he will work on the back up musicians coming. Musicians are starting to go south but the audience still comes.

Library program report: We are waiting to hear from JCC they had programs in the past, we could have one before the end of the year. Classes are going well, numbers are a little down, the weather impacts things a little bit. The card making class was very succesful and will be repeated Dec 3rd. 1st Thursday in December, Amazing Grace will be showing at 5:30, dinner and a movie. Toddler story time is going extremely well, for the 1:30 story time on Wednesday teh numbers are up to 5 and slowly growing. Book club is going strong, they are following the idea of the "Xmas Jar" at Xmas time. Raffle items for the Holiday Craft Fair are coming in from class teachers.

Guitar Night: The first one last month, there were 3 people in attendance. The night went well, low key. They are meeting agian on the 21st. One lady sat and listened the whole time. It has been promoted to a few teens to see if they are interested.

Craft Show: We will set up the library on friday night at 7:00. The vendors will set up Friday night and Saturday a.m. The show is 10-4. Kids crafts are 10-1.

New Business: Plowing and sidewalk snow removal, the vilage had to be called since they left 3 feet of snow from the curb. Parking was an issue and access for seniors was also a problem. Ann came to the library that morning and agreed it was a problem. There was a young man however that was shoveling the sidewalk, Garet Bass, he is a good worker. Mike Umstead could take care of the sidewalk maybe. We might only need someone to clean up after the Village comes and does the sidewalk. Maybe get prices and see what could be negotiated, consider getting a yearly rate. We might need a seasonal price, a monthly billing should be investigated. Winter rate, Rusty Hall or Billy Stay could be contacted. A suggestion that possibly someone with a snowblower could come and clean up after the Village, if this works out it should be done by 8:00 am. The Vilage might take care of salting. Chris will call and he will ask about seasonal pricing or monthly pricing. Pricing on doing sidewalks, driveway as well as 5 sq feet outside the back door and a trail from the library to the storage as well as a route to the bird feeder. Touch up plowing will also be asked about, what the terms would be. Ceil will get intouch with Tom to call Mike Umstead.

Board Concerns: None

Staff Concerns: Keeley and Ceil wil be gone this coming Tuesday to a NCLS meeting. NCLS wanted to put a little message on our receipt it would say you have saved 40$ by taking a book today. We are switching to Paul Delima coffee, we will be testing 3 blends. Multiple dogs arriving at the at the same time caused a concern. Service dogs are permissible only. A sign on the door might help saying Service Dogs are permissible. Low key is the approach for now. The bump in the childrens room floor is discussed, having the repair work done in the area is discussed. The suggestion is to have 4 contractors give a qoute with a specific time frame. We have waited 15 years. A suggestion is made to balance our budget and take it from there. Doug Stroud is a suggestion to do the work. Once that work is done, then we will discuss surfacing the floor. Rich is going to call Doug and get his opinion and we will take it from there. Inside masonry is often done in the winter months. Pointing the overhang and the bricks is discussed. Ann moves we adjourn and Denise seconds, all are n favor. We adjourn at 8:08.

Respectfully submitted by Cecilia Thompson.